You are here
Comparison of Human and Chimp Chromosomes (Grades 9-12)
Author/Source: ENSI (via Understanding Evolution)
Overview: Students observe that the banding patterns seen on stained chromosomes from humans and chimpanzees show striking similarities. Possible evolutionary relationships are explored, as are the chromosomes and relationships of other apes.
Concepts: This lesson covers the following concepts:
- Present-day species evolved from earlier species; the relatedness of organisms is the result of common ancestry.
- All organisms, including humans, retain evidence of their evolutionary history.
- Similarities among existing organisms provide evidence for evolution.
- All life forms use the same basic DNA building blocks.
- Scientists use the similarity of DNA nucleotide sequences to infer the relatedness of taxa.