- Human Evolution Research
- Climate and Human Evolution
- Asian Research Projects
- East African Research Projects
- Human Origins Program Team
- What's Hot In Human Origins?
- Fossil Forensics: Interactive
- E. A. Mammal Dentition Database
- Human Evolution Evidence
- 3D Collection
- Human Fossils
- Human Family Tree
- Timeline Interactive
- Human Characteristics
- About Us
How Do We Know the Footprints Are Human?
The individuals who made these footprints were walking upright. Some footprints have especially clear impressions of the big toe and heel. They are different from those of other apes and very similar to those of modern humans.
In addition, fossilized bones of an early human species, Australopithecus afarensis, were found nearby.